Monday, September 14, 2015

I ate something that I shouldn't have

So I got food poisoning this weekend. I spent the weekend getting caught up on The Economist, watching movies and spending quality time in the bathroom. Starting at about 3am on Saturday morning, I was going to the toilet every 1-2 hours, and I threw up at 5am (I was glad I had eaten peanut butter and jelly for dinner--an Indian curry probably would have been even more unpleasant coming back up). I was also dealing with some stomach cramps.

This felt worse than most episodes of food poisoning, but I talked to a doctor who told me to give it 24-48 hours, and sure enough, by Sunday evening, I was back to normal. I was glad that it's easy to get gatorade here and mostly subsisted on that and bananas.

I'm not totally sure where the food poisoning came from. I've been eating lots of concord grapes (80 rupees per kg makes it easy to eat lots of them), and it's possible that I missed a spot when washing the most recent batch (I'm usually pretty careful, but it's a hard surface to wash). I'm also planning to avoid the restaurant up the street where I got mushroom fried rice the day before. It was pretty good, and I've eaten there a few times before and not gotten sick. Still, there's plenty of dinner options in the area.

Most importantly, I was getting stomach bugs nearly every month when I lived in Tanzania, so I'm pretty happy that this has only happened once in nearly two months.

No comments:

Post a Comment